Bookmark This Blog

"Pace is all. Rhythm is master. Consistency is your friend."

Sunday, July 1, 2007

In Kiernan's Eyes

Sometimes I think the world must seem a very cruel place, through my baby's eyes.

As a newborn, his world was full of discomfort - colic, milk and soy protein intolerances we hadn't quite figured out, and reflux. If someone wasn't holding him, he just couldn't handle any of it.

Then things got a bit better. We got the diet under control, we got the medication under control, and teething started. And he got sick with colds. Or a diet error occurs. It seems to never end. The nights of crying, of not wanting to be put down. Of misery!

And yet, my baby doesn't see the world as a cruel place most of the time! He is happy, he is social, he wants to PLAY. He wants to be with you, he wants to learn, he wants to explore, he wants to see. He wants to talk and laugh and run - even though he isn't quite able to do all of those things yet. And although I am sometimes happy he will never remember these early months, because he's been uncomfortable for so much of it, his joy at most waking moments lights your heart. If only he could remember the excitement of all the discoveries he's making. Imagine remembering sheer joy at the taste of a fisher price metal cymbal, or at waving to grammie, and grandpa, and mommy, and daddy, and the kitty, and the mirror, and the lights, and the wall, and the flowers, and the cars, and the wall, and his feet!!!

I worry a lot that through my baby's eyes, life is a misery because he's had so many 'hiccups', but I don't think I really need to worry when I see how happy he is most of the time. I guess the trade off is me accepting that he isn't a good sleeper ;)

I had a hard time figuring out how to write a post with this topic and enlisted my husband for help. I'm including his suggestion because I'm not sure it isn't the better post :)

"In my eyes, by Kiernan

In my eyes I like to put fingers, and food and RUB IT IN, and sometimes my daddy pours water over my hair in the bath and he's protecting my eyes but I PUSH HIM AWAY and he gets water in my eyes and I HATE IT! But ooh, look, a ducky to hug... HEY WHY IS HE POKING MY EYES?!""

Lara is a 30 year old first-time mom from Ottawa, Ontario. Her blog is called Mommyhood for Lara, but a name change is imminent :) This post is part of the blog exchange and you can find Nancy's post for today here.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 7/01/2007 06:30:00 AM, Blogger Jenn in Holland said...

Hee-hee! I love it from Kiernan's pespective! That's just cute...

 
At 7/01/2007 06:31:00 AM, Blogger Jenn in Holland said...

I are a writer. And I kin spel good. peRspective.
Well done me. Well done you!

 
At 7/01/2007 07:38:00 AM, Blogger Alex Elliot said...

I really enjoyed your post; especially Keirnan's perspective!

 
At 7/01/2007 09:56:00 AM, Blogger Heaven said...

Lovely post, wonderful perspective.

 
At 7/01/2007 03:32:00 PM, Blogger soccer mom in denial said...

I like the "HEY WHY IS HE POKING..." part.

 
At 7/01/2007 10:06:00 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Both ideas were great!

Isn't it wonderful how resilient kids are? My son had several ear infections during his first year and was miserable for months. You'd never know it now...he's almost 3.

 
At 7/02/2007 09:03:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great view by Kiernan. And he has such an adorable name, too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home