Bookmark This Blog

"Pace is all. Rhythm is master. Consistency is your friend."

Friday, July 13, 2007

Our Garden



As those of you who have known me for any length of time can attest, the "domestic" life was always something I said would never appeal to me. I don't cook (except for Kraft macaroni & cheese, grilled cheese sandwiches, tacos and occasionally pasta and sauce as long as the sauce is Ragu), my house is clean, but certainly could be cleaner and while I enjoy being a mother, when I was young I used to say that my sister (who loved to babysit and said she was going to be a teacher because she loved kids so much) was going to be my live-in nanny while I went to work in my corporate power suit.

My how things have changed.

Anyone who reads this blog even occasionally knows how I feel about corporate America and, of course, my boys. I love being married. I love my new home. I still don't cook (I leave that to my husband, aka The Chef) and I hate laundry, but I've surprised many with my new found interest in gardening.

Now I wouldn't call myself a gardener just yet. I have stumbled along and I think had a lot of luck. We still have a lot of work to do on our yard and I have plans, but the vegetable garden has come along quite nicely (as you can see). It was the one thing my older son wanted when we told him we were moving into a house and it's actually panning out.

I'm kind of obsessive about the watering thing and I find myself chasing squirrels away on a regular basis. The squirrels have been the worst. They completely annihilated our eggplant, although it seems to be coming back nicely and when I put some sunflowers out the other day it took all of 24 hours for the nasty little critters to eat them. They seem to finally be leaving the vegetables alone, however, and as you can see we've got LOTS of tomatoes and even a pepper!!

I'm like a proud momma talking about it. I just can't believe it really. I thought maybe we'd get something this go around . . . but it's been so exciting to watch the plants grow and we've got LOTS of somethings! I think I'm now more excited than my older son and I think he thinks I'm a little crazy about the whole thing.

Anyway, praise is welcome (for me and the garden). The pictures really don't show just how big the tomato plants have gotten. I'll have to spread them out a little more next year. Next year! I'm already talking about next year!! I'll make a gardener out of myself yet ;)

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 7/13/2007 10:51:00 PM, Blogger Alex Elliot said...

Very impressive! I wish I had a green thumb. I'm hoping in a couple years when the boys are older that I'll be able to devote some time to gardening.

 
At 7/14/2007 09:04:00 AM, Blogger cherylann said...

I am impressed! Now, are you guys actually eating the vegetables??? hahaha! I remember being a kid on summer vacation and running out to the garden in the morning to see if anything new had grown so I could eat it! I loved picking and eating green beans and carrots out of the garden. My dad has a garden (did I tell you about his Ft. Knox of a fence because of the rabbits?) and we usually get the extras. I heart fresh veggies and am trying to save up for a house of my own so that I can have a garden too! You should plant some berries along the retaining wall- do you like berries? Oh, and I'll talk to Jesse to see what his tricks are to keep the squirrels away from your stuff. He knows EVERYTHING! I'll either email you with it or tell you next time we talk. (I hope soon!) xoxo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home