Bookmark This Blog

"Pace is all. Rhythm is master. Consistency is your friend."

Sunday, November 19, 2006

A Sunday with Shel

I recently purchased Shel Silverstein's "Where the Sidewalk Ends" and tonight my four-year-old and we enjoyed a couple dozen or so poems - and more than twice that many laughs. I bought the book knowing that I loved it as a kid, but I had forgotten so many of the reasons why and it was pure joy remembering.

There was good old Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout who would not take the garbage out; The Yipiyuk who latched onto my toe and would not let go; The super sensational, utterly fabulous talented Dancing Pants; A recipe for a hippopotamus sandwich; And who can forget little Peggy Ann McKay who was so sick she couldn't go to school that day - until she was told it was Saturday :)

Since I enjoyed my trip down memory lane so very much tonight I thought I would share three of my (short) favorites which I didn't necessarily remember from my youth, but instead touched my heart as an adult. Thank you, Mr. Silverstein.


LISTEN TO THE MUSTN'TS
Listen to the MUSTN'TS child
Listen to the DONT'S
Listen to the SHOULDN'TS
The IMPOSSIBLES, the WON'TS
Listen to the NEVER HAVES
Then listen close to me-
Anything can happen, child,
ANYTHING can be.



I WON'T HATCH!
Oh, I am a chickie who lives in an egg,
But I will not hatch, I will not hatch.
The hens they all cackle, the roosters all beg,
But I will not hatch, I will not hatch.
For I hear all the talk of pollution and war
As the people all shout and the airplanes roar,
So I'm staying in here where it's safe and it's warm,
And I WILL NOT HATCH!



ALICE
She drank from a bottle called DRINK ME
And up she grew so tall,
She ate from a plate called TASTE ME
And down she shrank so small.
And so she changed, while other folks
Never tried nothin' at all.



Have a great week . . .

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home