Bookmark This Blog

"Pace is all. Rhythm is master. Consistency is your friend."

Monday, September 25, 2006

Highlights from My Library

I saw this survey on another blog and thought it was a good one. I think it's an interesting way to get to know people - afterall what we read says a lot about who are, doesn't it? So here goes:

1. One Book That Changed Your Life: "In the Meantime," by Iyanla Vanzant
I was struggling with depression in my early twenties and books became my lifeline. I happened upon this one (one of many impulse buys at Amazon during that time) and although I only got through about half of it before switching to something else (my attention span was lacking at the point in my life, too) I will never forget the one piece of advice I took away from it. It was that I needed to accept the idea that I could be "alone," - meaning that boyfriends and friends may come and go, I may never get married or have children - and that I was the only sure thing in my life; Until I came to love and accept who I was (warts and all) then I wouldn't be able to love someone else the way they needed and they wouldn't be able to love me. So in time I came to accept myself, to want to be me because I was going to be with me for quite some time. It was either that or be miserable :)

2. One Book You've Read More Than Once: "The Four Agreements," by Don Miguel Ruiz
I've read it now two or three times and I'm sure I'll read it at least a half dozen more times in my life. It's greatest impact on my life came when I read it this past spring - it truly changed the way I see myself and others and caused me to change behaviors and thoughts I have in my everyday life.

3. One Book You'd Bring to a Deserted Island: "The Portable Emerson"
You all know I've been on a Ralph Waldo Emerson/Henry David Thoreau kick as of late. If I had to leave for the island tomorrow I'd be lost without good old RWE

4. One Book That Made You Laugh: "The Van," by Roddy Doyle
And I mean laugh out loud. It's Irish humor and storytelling at its best! It's set against the backdrop of two friends going into business to run a fish & chips van and it's hysterical. If you ever need a pick me up, I'll lend you my copy - it's a quick read and you can't possibly be sad after reading it.

5. One Book That Made You Cry: I don't think I've ever cried while reading a book. (Not that I can remember) I'm more of a visual person - images and dialogue and music make me cry. You know, the stereotypical female who cries at long distance commercials? Well, I'm not quite that bad, but I've been known to cry watching commercials involving babies or mothers having to say goodbye to their children . . . I know, I know :)

6. One Book You Wish You Had Written: "A People's History of the United States," by Howard Zinn
This is one of the most amazing books I have ever read. Anyone who has been educated in the U.S. needs to read this one because it provides a completely different take on U.S. History and it's not at all like what you learned in school growing up. (In fact, as soon as my boys are old enough I will tell them that although they get a day from school for Columbus Day, we don't celebrate such a man in our house - then I'll hand them my worn copy of A People's History.) I wish I had written it, but it wouldn't have been as good as Zinn. Only someone who has had the experiences he has had, who has lived the life of an activist, educator and student of history could have written such a profound book. It is quite possible the most eye opening read I have ever experienced.

7. One Book You Wish Had Never Been Written: I don't believe in censorship (although I was appalled at Paris Hilton becoming a published "author" ... Yuck!!!)

8. One Book You're Reading Now: "The Mommy Myth: The Idealization of Motherhood and How it Has Undermined All Women," by Susan Douglas and Meredith Michaels
Quite and interesting read so far. The premise is that the images portrayed in the media of what it is to be a mother create unattainable ideals for real life mothers, yet mothers feel pressured by the media, by family members, friends and especially other mothers to live up to those impossible standards. Some research for my NaNo novel.

9. One Book You've Been Meaning to Read: "The Sacred Balance: Rediscovering Our Place in Nature," by David Suzuki
Started this one a few months back with Shannon and haven't gotten back to it. I was so into it at the time (it's a fantastic read), but I've been distracted with other things and so it sits on my nightstand with the bookmark still in it from where I left off. We will finish it Shannon, I promise!!!

10. Tag Five Others You'd Like to Take This Survey: Cheryl, Shani, Shannon (by email if you wish), Jessica, Brian . . . Hell, I could go on and on. I'd be interested to see anybody's answers to this one!

Keep reading!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home