Bookmark This Blog

"Pace is all. Rhythm is master. Consistency is your friend."

Friday, February 23, 2007

Dear Cheryl,

***Warning: This post is a sappy one and may be of no interest unless you are Cheryl. But feel free to read it anyway :)


"A friend might well be reckoned the masterpiece of nature." - R.W. Emerson

I could have stayed on the phone with you all night.

I can't believe we had been talking for three hours when I had to make my quick exit and go back to being a mommy. (Although it was 1 a.m. and I probably should have been in bed when my little one went looking for me there)

But can I just tell you that it was wonderful, pure bliss, just to talk to you without being interrupted; to talk to you about whatever came into my head; to talk about things other than my children; to listen to your voice and remember.

"We talk of choosing our friends, but friends are self-elected" - Emerson

Ours has been a friendship filled with happiness and (our fair share of) tribulations. While we were "inseparable" in high school, the post-high school drama was too much. And although I sometimes wonder about what might have been, I wouldn't necessarily change it because the friendship we have found as grown women is special to me as well, even if it is very different from the friendship we once had as girls.

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." - R.W. Emerson

What hasn't changed is that I am so comfortable talking to you. I still feel safe in sharing my personal thoughts and ideas with you. I enjoy our reminiscing. I giggle at our complaints about our husbands and their lack of concern for fashion. (As if we're so "in the know.") I love listening to you talk about your daughter and hearing a love in your voice that I know is reserved for only her. And I appreciate your support, encouragement and kind words when you refer to me as a mother and the job I am doing as a parent.

My only regret is that we live too far apart these days :)
I know we wouldn't be able to enjoy late afternoon naps with three rambunctious children running around; no more spur of the moment driving trips to wherever (although they might help induce said naps for those three children I just mentioned); no more sleepovers or late night parties. But it would be nice to have a play date or two.

"Nothing makes the earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance." - Henry David Thoreau

That is why I can't wait to see you in a few weeks. I can't wait to see your smiling face and to hug you and feel you hug me back. I can't wait to meet your precious daughter (and plan the arranged marriage between the bean and my little O).

So until then, my friend, take care of yourself and your family. I look forward to our next marathon phone call.

Love,
Nilda

P.S. Although I loathe Wal-Mart, just remember that I only picket when it's not cold or raining. I mean, seriously, why should social change have to be difficult?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 2/23/2007 06:03:00 PM, Blogger cherylann said...

you touch me in more ways than you will ever know... but not in any dirty ways. i love you my nilda! thank you... and i could talk to you all night too. and i was wondering if you just didn't want O to marry the bean... or if you had already promised him to isabella... now all is right with the world. *grin* thank you for noticing things that no one else does... well, if they do they never say anything. i'll get right on making your tshirt to wear when you picket. xoxo
ps- alan is your boyfriend!

 
At 2/23/2007 08:52:00 PM, Blogger Em said...

I don't know Cheryl and I don't know you...but I read anyway. And it was really nice to read about such a special and intimate friendship. That truly makes a difference in life. Enjoy your visit with her soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home