Bookmark This Blog

"Pace is all. Rhythm is master. Consistency is your friend."

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

No More Suffering

I got the phone call today.

My grandmother is no longer suffering. She has passed onto, well, whatever it is that awaits us out there when we finish this journey here on Earth.

It was peaceful. She simply fell asleep.

I'm told she had a better night last night. She was a little more coherent than she's been and she was very calm as she looked from my mom to my sister to my niece. My niece (who turned one this fall) was blowing my grandmother kisses and, hopefully, my grandmother, and certainly my sister, was able to tuck away at least one more beautiful memory.

She wasn't alone, like she was afraid she would be, this morning when she died.

So she's not suffering anymore. She's not so heavily medicated that she doesn't recognize her family. She finally let go of that battered body of hers and once again became whole. That's what I like to think anyway. I like to think that she's been reunited with my grandfather, her parents and her sisters who all went before her.


Good night, Grandma.
I miss you, but I know you're OK now.
Thank you for showing me what strength is,
what independence is,
for sharing your love of travel with me,
for believing I would accomplish great things,
for not being like every other grandmother -
Thank you for being my Grandma.

I love you.

(Still) Your Angel

3 Comments:

At 1/17/2007 11:27:00 PM, Blogger Alex Elliot said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Your grandmother sounds like she was a wonderful woman. I'm glad her passing was so peaceful.

 
At 1/18/2007 12:55:00 PM, Blogger cherylann said...

My thoughts are with you and your family. If you need me, I am here. I might just call anyway. *hugs*

 
At 1/18/2007 08:52:00 PM, Blogger Em said...

I am truly sorry to hear of her passing, but it sounds like she had some very loving moments at the end and went very peacefully.

Blessed Be to you and your family.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home