Bookmark This Blog

"Pace is all. Rhythm is master. Consistency is your friend."

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

It Truly Saddens Me to Say This

I was watching ABC World News tonight and they aired a 15 second news blurb that truly saddened me. The Associated Press-Ipsos recently conducted a survey regarding the reading habits of adults and found that 27% of those surveyed had not read a book in the last year.

That's right, 1 in 4 respondents reported they had not read a book in the previous 12 months - NOT A ONE!!!

Now I realize this also means that 73% are reading at least one book a year, but it still just blows my mind that so many adults aren't reading books. Do they know what they're missing? Because they are missing so much.

The publishing industry did report a small (less than 1 percent) jump in the number of books sold from last year totalling 3.1 billion books. That's a lot of books, but I just wish those were spread over a larger number of people.

There is some good news to report. The survey also found that Democrats and those who classified themselves as liberals reported reading "slightly more books" than Republicans and conservatives ;)

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 8/23/2007 10:28:00 AM, Blogger ren powell said...

The survey also found that Democrats and those who classified themselves as liberals reported reading "slightly more books" than Republicans and conservatives ;)

I think that explains a lot. I bet more people would love reading if they weren't taught how to "properly" interpret what they read.

 
At 8/24/2007 08:40:00 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

Absolutely. While I think being able to pull pieces out and analyze them is an important skill and can add a lot to what we read, I think the emphasis should be on learning the skill and not so much about coming up with the "right" answer, ie the one the teacher was taught to be the right one.

 
At 8/24/2007 09:30:00 PM, Blogger cherylann said...

My sister and I were talking last night. I said "I'm blessed that I don't have that addiction gene that runs in the family.. oh, wait... I'm addicted to books, does that count?" I don't know what I would do without going to the library every week to get more books. I heart books. I heart reading. Also, a lot of adults that I know... they read magazines instead of books... short attention span, or not enough time?

(can you believe it finally worked?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home