Bookmark This Blog

"Pace is all. Rhythm is master. Consistency is your friend."

Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Day Five: Winding Roads, Christmas Tunes & Sweet Smelling Soap

Another day into December, another day checked off on the countdown to Christmas and another day of gratitude.

Today I am grateful for my friends - two wonderful ladies in particular who I met through my husband, before he was my husband and we were dating. They're both moms, they're both beautiful people inside and out and, as luck would have it, our kids get along great too :)

So I took a long, peaceful drive up north - an hour in duration - while listening to the all Christmas music all the time station and my four year old's interpretation of said music's lyrics, my two year old sleeping peacefully in the back, watching the snow flurries blow over my windshield - never settling on it; just brushing it like a feather ever so slightly only to be carried away by the wind. It was a truly relaxing activity.

And of course the real fun began when we arrived at our destination. There were seven, count 'em SEVEN, kids running around and when I say running - I mean running and jumping off of furniture and knocking one another over, so one mommy cleverly suggested we brave the cold temperatures outside and let the animals, er children, roam free.

Getting bundled up to go outside was another experience, that while taxing, was humorous as well. Boots wouldn't go on straight. Thumbs were lost in mittens. Winter hats missing. I believe my hostess could accurately be quoted as having said, "This is worse than putting on sunscreen." But once we made it out into the cold and the sun our charges were free to release their pent up energy, scream, yell, chase, climb - nothing was off limits.

When we all got too cold to stay outside any longer, the moms popped in a video and shared good conversation in between toy disputes, falls and reminders about using "inside voices." And if the conversations we have are any indication, it will be the moms of the world who solve the problems of the world.

So that was my afternoon. It was wonderful in its simplicity. And in case you're wondering about the title - I am also grateful for the sweet smelling soap that Shannon always has in her bathroom. My hands still smell like strawberries and that makes me smile, too.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 12/06/2006 02:05:00 PM, Blogger cherylann said...

this post makes me smile. dammit, i just remembered that i didn't call last night... i was at work. crap! i'll try and call today... before you fall asleep on the couch watching postcards from buster.

 
At 12/06/2006 02:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very fun day indeed!

Loved the post--I just love the long ride with Christmas songs and of course, boys singing in the back.

Glad you love the soap (I'll tell Rich's mom--she'll be thrilled!) Where else would I get such fun soap?

I'm thankful for days like that too!

 
At 12/06/2006 05:46:00 PM, Blogger Shani said...

Days like this make everything else seem worthwhile....aaah soap - powerful evocative stuff...

hugs Shani

 
At 12/07/2006 12:50:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Very fun day.. just what the kids needed!! A place to run free, what better place then Shannons great estate!

Thank you Nancy for putting it all in perspective, we do have so much to be thankful for.

I am very thankful for friends that share the same joys, as simple as they are.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home