Bookmark This Blog

"Pace is all. Rhythm is master. Consistency is your friend."

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Wal-Mart, Ritalin & Republicans on the Run

OK, so my random thoughts post for Thursday is a little late this week. Usually I like to have it up all day, but last night I went out and took a wreath making class. Not something I would normally do, but thanks to a couple of close friends I had a great time :) And my fall apple wreath didn't come out too bad either.

Anyway, here's this week's hodgepodge of random thoughts:

  • First, some good news: Reading columnist Barbara Ehrenreich in this month's Progressive Magazine I learned that union busting, low wage paying, minimum benefit giving super corporate beast Wal-Mart reported that profits were down 26% for the second quarter of 2006 - and I couldn't be happier! It was apparently the first time Wal-Mart saw a dip in profits in ten years. Oh well!! It's about time people started waking up! Wal-Mart sells you cheap crap by paying its employees low wages, offering benefits that require the employee to carry the bulk of the cost and by threatening employees who try to unionize workers for better pay and better benefits. I for one refuse to participate in such tactics just to save a few bucks and have (happily) not shopped at Wal-Mart for several years now. I encourage anyone reading this to do the same because until we, the consumers, start showing corporations like Wal-Mart that we don't condone the way they do business, they'll keep raking in the profits by the billions while their employees can't even afford to shop where they work.


  • I just read an amazing article in The Ecologist Online regarding the increasing number of children, especially boys, being prescribed drugs like Ritalin to control their "hyper" and "overly active" behavior. The article points out that "In schools today, the boy who can't sit still and careers around the classroom is defined as 'hyperactive' while the reserved one who prefers drawing churches to playing at superheroes is labelled 'possibly autistic'." While 20 years ago the same boys would have been considered boisterous and well, boys being boys. The article also points out that long term studies have not been done on these drugs that are so quickly handed out to "stressed out" parents who report being unable to control their children and have doctors willing to blame a "disease" without even considering that it could be the parents' inability to discipline their own children that's the problem. Nope, give 'em some drugs and all is better. This article also blames the education system itself for putting so much emphasis on results, standardized testing, etc. because there is no time to spend with a student who may require a little extra attention if you want to reach the statewide goals set by bureaucrats in big offices. According to reporter Rachel Ragg, in the UK, "The National Curriculum suppresses anything that doesn't fit. Never mind creativity or invention: homogeneity is what matters." I'd have to say the same is true here in the states as well. So parents beware! Teachers and doctors may not always have your child's best interests in mind, no matter how much we'd like to believe they do.


  • And last, but certainly not least, I heard on the radio yesterday that Republicans are doing something previously unheard of. Campaign contributors are being encouraged to contribute their funds to races that are highly contested, while being discouraged to continue pouring money into candidates that appear to be too far behind in the polls to win. In other words, for the first time in a LONG time Republicans are worried. As they should be!! This election in two and a half weeks is CRUCIAL to the direction this country will take in the next few years and will certainly provide a big push for the Democrats for the 2008 Presidential race if they can take back Congress. THIS ELECTION ON NOVEMBER 7TH IS OF UTMOST IMPORTANCE!! It doesn't matter if the race in your district is a runaway or whether you believe that one vote can make a difference - we have to show these sly politicians that we care about what's happening in our country right now and voting (aside from enormous campaign contributions which I am not in a position to make)is the only way to make these people listen. And they will listen if they think there's a chance they'll get voted out of office if they don't. Come on, people, change is possible! I know things seem daunting, but nothing will happen if we all just sit back and sulk. Take action! Stand up and be heard! VOTE on November 7th!


That's it for this week's randomness. Have a great Friday everybody!!

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 10/19/2006 07:50:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Republicans have all but pulled funding from Mike Dewine and Ken Blackwell here in Ohio. It seems that soon I will no longer be ashamed to call myself an Ohioan after the 2004 clusterfook.

Shame that Ken Blackwell is back to rigging elections, he's trying to toss Ted Strickland off the ballot. I guess Kenny doesn't like the idea of someone else being governor.

I predict riots in the streets if he succeeds.

 
At 10/20/2006 04:08:00 PM, Blogger Christina said...

As to point two, I couldn't agree more. And it doesn't help that schools are cutting back on recess and physical education time in order to focus on testing standards, and yet wonder why the kids are more hyperactive today. I think kids need a chance to get out and run off some steam in order to learn properly.

And yeah, it's nice to see the Republcans running scared in Ohio. Now if we can only get all of the people who want change out to vote.

 
At 10/20/2006 05:21:00 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

Speaking of kids needing to get out once in a while and run off some steam ...

Two school systems in Massachusetts have adopted a new policy - No playing tag at recess. They say it's too dangerous and too much of a liability for the school. One town even has a "No Touching" policy for its students. I don't know the specifics, but just the sound of it makes my skin crawl. I mean, NO TOUCHING AT ALL? No one wants their kid to get beat up, obviously, but I think the hugs and holding hands, especially among young children, is adorable! Not to mention human contact is essential to a happy, healthy child and I think that includes peer contact.

What's next? No running at recess in order to prevent children from falling down?

 
At 10/25/2006 06:30:00 AM, Blogger Shani said...

We aren't allowed to play conkers anymore, and I had to teach sewing a couple of years ago, without a needle !! ah well..

Thanks for highlighting the stupidness of adults not understanding childhood....

 
At 12/07/2008 01:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My name is Nikki Hughes and i would like to show you my personal experience with Ritalin.

I am 51 years old. Have been on Ritalin for 9 years now. I began taking it for depression after my marriage ended, and also in a misguided attempt to lose weight! I lost about 15 pounds at the beginning, had tons of energy, felt great...but the weight loss stopped within a few months.. I currently feel focused and motivated after I take it and am able to get a lot done. As well as the generic ritalin, I take 6 - 12 Tylenol 1 tablets a day. I know how bad this is, but can't seem to stop for more than a few days. The last nine years seem to be a blur...it's like I have lost those years....I hardly remember anything about them. I find this sad and frightening. I take what my doctor prescribed: three 10mg. tablets a day. I have tried many times to completely get off this drug but I now realize that I am truly addicted to it. If I stop taking it for more than one day I become extremely depressed and have very negative, hopeless thoughts and ideas.

I have experienced some of these side effects-
very irritable when it wears off; sometimes difficult to fall asleep, memory loss, hear music in my head that won't stop.

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Nikki Hughes

 

Post a Comment

<< Home