Bookmark This Blog

"Pace is all. Rhythm is master. Consistency is your friend."

Thursday, October 26, 2006

It's Thursday!!!

All right, so its Thursday. I've been very busy and scattered with two sick kids, one with a TERRIBLE cold that has lasted almost two weeks now and the other throwing up yesterday quite unexpectedly. But, alas, I have found time to write while my husband cleans the kitchen. (Aren't I a very lucky, girl?)

  • I was driving yesterday and noticed something, not unusual at all, but slightly disturbing. I noticed that the car in front of me, the car behind me and the car making a left hand turn (although he didn't have the right of way) in front of the car in front of me all had drivers in them talking on their cellphones. Hmmmm ... Now, I'm not for legislating the banning of talking on your cellphone while driving. It's not always the best thing to be doing, a definite distraction, but so is having two screaming boys yelling at you from the backseat to get the Matchbox car they dropped on the floor or demanding that you tell the younger one to stop looking at the older one. So my children should be removed from my car, too . . . wait a minute . . . Anyway, what struck me is that cellphones are EVERYWHERE and I'm kind of getting sick of them. I mean, I only have a cellphone these days. I no longer have landline (when did that word even come about?) service because I get great cell service at my home and who needs to pay two bills? But I also have a tendency to turn off my cellphone when I don't wish to be bothered. But sometimes I feel like I'm the only one. And now with text messaging where you don't even have to use your voice and therefore can silently have a conversation with a friend (except for the annoying tone that sounds when you have an incoming message) it's as if these people have cellphones surgically attached to their hands! What did we do before the cellphone? Oh, right. We had answering machines to record the calls we missed while we were out. Was that so bad? Was that such an inconvenience? Is it really all that great now that people can get a hold of you whenever they want to? And how about when you do turn your phone off for that hour or so, that person who was trying to get a hold of you seems almost insulted that you weren't available when they called, "Why would you turn your cellphone off? I was trying to call you!" I just think this whole thing has gotten out of control. I mean, you'd think that we'd all have gotten better with cellphone etiquette as we got over the newness of the technology - I say we've gotten worse. I hear someone's phone ringing (and by ringing I mean some song playing - and I have them too) at least once during every public outing I make - in the doctor's office, at the grocery store, in a restaurant, at the movies - and let's not forget that nine times out of ten, the call is picked up and then I have to listen to the one-sided conversation happening next to me while I try to keep my children from taking all of the M&M's off the rack and putting them on the conveyor belt!! I don't know . . . maybe it's just me :)
  • And here's just a little snapshot from my life yesterday. A conversation between me and my four-year-old (FYO) son:

FYO: Mommy, I think "O" should go to jail.

ME: What?

FYO: I think O should go to jail because people who go to jail go away for 10 years.

ME: Why would you say that? You'd miss your brother if he were gone for 10 years.

FYO: Mommy, I need to tell you the truth about something. O is not really the brother I wanted. I want a new little brother.

ME: Well, you're not getting one. And I don't want to hear you say anything like that again. O is your brother and you're going to be brothers forever. So get used to it.

I then proceeded to leave the room, hide behind the bathroom door and laugh my ass off :)

Have a great day everyone!

Oh, and if you want to check out my entry for the Philosophy Blog War, you can check it out here. And if you like it - Toss me your vote!!! (Polls close on November 7th, so for those of you in the U.S. you can vote for me as a lead up to that other election :)

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 10/27/2006 12:50:00 AM, Blogger Cristina said...

I know what you mean about the cell phone thing. It seems that they are everywhere - even little kids have to have them now. A friend of a friend's daughter (8 years old) came home from her first day of class at a new school this year (rich area) and complained to her dad that she NEEDS a cell phone b/c she was the only child in her class without one. 8 years old. WTF?

 
At 10/28/2006 05:39:00 PM, Blogger Shani said...

Cell phones are banned in England because of the high amount of deaths - and police cars now have signs in them which flash to pull over drivers on the phones... still doesn't seem to make a lot of difference though..

I personally wish I could switch of my husband :-)

hugs Shani

 

Post a Comment

<< Home