Bookmark This Blog

"Pace is all. Rhythm is master. Consistency is your friend."

Tuesday, August 8, 2006

Will History Repeat Itself? Dare I Hope?

Lately I've had a thing for checking out the "This Date in History" section of my local newspaper. Curiosity mainly and it's given me a couple of things to think and blog about, too. Well, wouldn't you know it. I found a beauty today. One that inspires hope and introduces what is possible. Are you ready?

"On Aug. 8, 1974, President Nixon announced he would resign following damaging new revelations in the Watergate scandal."

Isn't it awe inspiring? I mean just think of the possibilities. Replace Nixon with Bush and Watergate with "revelations that he and his Administration led the U.S. into a preemptive, illegal war and were thereby directly responsible for the deaths of thousands of people, that he sanctioned the illegal wiretapping of phones and tracking of personal bank records of thousands more American citizens and endorsed the illegal imprisonment of hundreds of people at Guantanomo Bay; prisoners were held there indefinitely without charges filed against them and they were tortured by guards and "intelligence" officers seeking information - not to mention, he was an arrogant son of a bitch with a propensity for lying."

Could it happen? It would sure make it a lot easier than impeachment, which is at this point the only other answer. But alas, I think it's optimistic of me. I don't believe that Dubyah's cowboy machismo would allow him to consider resigning, even if articles of impeachment were being drawn as I type this very post. (There goes that optimism again)

I really believe that Bush thinks he is untouchable, that he is above the law, including those written in the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights; that the only being he has to answer to is God - and with what Dubyah's been pulling these last few years I can't imagine even God is happy with him. I don't pretend to speak for the Big Man upstairs, although George believes he does, but I seem to remember learning something in Sunday School about murder and war being against those 10 great commandments put forth by God, unless a person is forced to take the life of another in self defense. Now Dubyah and his cronies would like us all to believe that his "War on Terror" is in self-defense of this country and all its citizens, but it's really a drive to expand our American Empire in the best interest of the wealthy and their corporations.

Well, I guess I've gotten rid of my optimism . . . Oh, well, a girl can dream.

Peace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home