Bookmark This Blog

"Pace is all. Rhythm is master. Consistency is your friend."

Monday, August 21, 2006

Bush Postpones 2008 Election

This was just TOO GOOD not to republish. This article was in my latest edition of The Nation. It's an incredible, amazing piece, although it's quite scary because it might not be that far off, and my heart just started beating out of my chest as I read. I mean, what if?
(It also made me think of my friend Rich who recently uttered the idea that maybe the next Presidential election wouldn't happen ... Maybe he's psychic ...)

Please tell me what you think about this one . . . And enjoy with caution . . .

CITES CONSTITUTIONAL POWER TO PROTECT NATION'S SECURITY
What Did "Four Years" Mean in 1789
by Stephen Gillers

WASHINGTON, June 21, 2008. President Bush, citing his authority as Commander in Chief of the armed forces and his inherent constitutional power over foreign affairs, today ordered a postponement of the 2008 presidential election in order "to protect the American people in our war on terror."

In a speech during a surprise visit to Baghdad, where he celebrated the summer solstice with the troops, Mr. Bush told the nation that the election will be "rescheduled as soon as a change in leadership does not create a security threat and not a second later. When the Iraqis stand up, we'll vote."

"Elections are important," the President acknowledged. "I know that. I believe in elections. I'm President because of an election, sort of. But protecting the nation from another 9/11 is more important than holding an election precisely on time."

The President noted that as Commander in Chief he had already approved telephone wiretapping without court warrant, incarcerated alleged "enemy combatants" indefinitely without trial and, in a February 2002 order, now rescinded, had authorized the armed forces to ignore the Geneva Conventions when "consistent with military necessity," so long as everyone was treated "humanely."

"If I can do all that, I can defer an election," the President said. "Look, as between not voting on time and getting locked up without all those Geneva rules and such, which is worse?"

Read More

5 Comments:

At 8/21/2006 10:13:00 PM, Blogger cherylann said...

holy shit... that is so frightening. i think i want to cry. dammit.

 
At 8/22/2006 04:09:00 PM, Blogger cherylann said...

hey... go to the bottom of my blog and click on the blog mad icon... sign up. you will get tons of readers. you'll love it too, because you get to surf blogs political and such that you will enjoy. do it nancy do it! (peer pressure)

 
At 8/23/2006 10:15:00 AM, Blogger Shani said...

Oh no - I do hope Blair doesn't read this - he might not realise it is a spoof :-)

 
At 8/23/2006 11:40:00 AM, Blogger cherylann said...

hey... fyi- i have free long distance 24/7 it's part of my plan... hahaha. do you even have my number? oh, and guess what... that is ms. coox and i dropped her a note and she sent the sweetest reply back. *sigh* if not for her gay brother i would have married him. uhhh... j/k! ttyl!
love- me

 
At 8/23/2006 03:13:00 PM, Blogger Joanne Rawson said...

That's not funny... it's too realistic to be funny...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home